NOTE*: I recently updated this male hair loss treatment routine to reflect what I have found works best for me after doing this every day for over 4 years. If you are a returning visitor, you may notice I’ve changed it up a little. I had been tweaking this for a few years, until I came up with the most time-effective daily routine that produces the best results. I also added finasteride to my daily routine.
Following are step-by-step instructions of my male hair loss treatment explaining how to use simple, affordable products to reverse hair loss through a daily routine to block DHT and stimulate hair growth. This is based on both research AND my personal experience.
If you want results, you have to be consistent and patient. It really works.
MORNING: Use Hair Loss Shampoo and Apply 1st Minoxidil application
Shampoo – Nizoral OR Alpecin (Alternate throughout week)
Each morning when I shower, I use one of two shampoos that fight hair loss – Nizoral shampoo 2-3 times per week and Alpecin shampoo all other days. With each of these shampoos, I apply them first thing, and then let the shampoo sit while I shower, rinsing it out right before I finish up. This gives it time to work as it should.
Both Nizoral and Alpecin shampoos can be purchased online, through a reputable site such as Amazon.
Lipogaine (2 minutes to apply)
After showering, I apply Lipogaine, which provides the first minoxidil application of my male hair loss treatment and includes proprietary herbal blend DHT blockers and Vitamins in one formula to effectively reverse hair loss. I use the dropper that’s included to apply it all over the hair loss area and then rub in with my finger tips.
Be sure to wash your hands and forehead afterwards if you don’t want unwanted hair growing elsewhere! This process only takes a few minutes.
I used to apply Lipogaine at night, but after trying different times, I now stick with mornings, because Lipogaine dries quicker than Kirkland minoxidil, and I use less of it. Adding a little gel or hair product of your choice afterwards can fix the little “sticky” feel very easily! You may also want to consider a hair moisturizing/conditioning spray, to avoid dry hair.
EVENING: Apply Trichogen to Stimulate Hair Growth
ProFolla AnaStim Ha (2 minutes to apply)
Most evenings after supper I spray the thinning area with ProFolla AnaStim Ha. I pay extra attention to the frontal hairline, as this product contains 8% trichogen, which is one of the few treatments that works well to reverse hair loss and stimulate hair growth in that area. Once I’ve sprayed all thinning areas I rub it in with my finger tips. The Entire process just takes a few minutes and, while this product is manufactured to stimulate hair growth, it smells and feels great!
Tip: If your hair loss is extreme, you may get better results from the 12% trichogen product, ProFolla Dermal An, an effective male hair loss treatment to stimulate hair growth when more scalp is showing.
Both ProFolla AnaStim Ha and Profolla Dermal An can be purchased from Amazon, a reputable online store. I have had an excellent buyer experience with Amazon, and would happily recommend them to anyone looking for high quality products to stimulate hair growth and reverse hair loss.
NIGHT BEFORE BED: 2nd Minoxidil Application, Finasteride, & Vitamins
Kirkland Minoxidil (2 minutes to apply)
I apply Kirkland Minoxidil before I got to bed.
I used to apply Kirkland minoxidil in the morning, but due to its low cost, I apply enough to cover the entire top of my scalp, and it isn’t practical to go throughout the rest of the day when using this much. This way, I just wash it out in the morning.
It is recommended to apply minoxidil twice a day as an effective hair loss treatment, at least 8 hours apart, and this is the second application. I use the dropper that comes with the product to apply it all over the top of my scalp and then rub in with my finger tips.
As I mentioned with the morning application of this male hair loss treatment, be sure to wash your hands and forehead afterwards because even though you want to reverse hair loss – you don’t want to stimulate hair growth anywhere else besides on your head!
I purchase the Kirkland 6 pack from Amazon and get the 6 bottles for such a great price, I save a pile of money on my male hair loss treatment by using this as one of my daily applications of minoxidil.
To block DHT at the source, I take 1.25mg of finasteride once every night. To take advantage of BIG savings in cost, I cut a 5mg tablet of Proscar into 4 pieces using a pill cutter.
Years ago, I used to take Propecia, and tried generic finasteride from online pharmacies. After being fed up with online pharmacies overseas, I decided to try just minoxidil, topical DHT blockers and Saw Palmetto. After 3 years I was holding on to my hair, but I knew I could do better. I spoke with my doctor, and he prescribed Proscar, suggesting I cut it into 4 pieces to make 4 daily doses.
IMPORTANT: 5mg of finasteride daily is too much as a hair loss treatment. Taking that much could increase your chances of experiencing side effects. 1.25mg is more than enough for hair loss. I would even cut the Proscar into 5 pieces if it was easy, but trust me, you end up with a pile of pill dust.
Finasteride, minoxidil and topical DHT blockers (see above) make a powerful combination!! I swear, after just 4-6 months I noticed a big difference both in the front and top areas. I assume I had a head start, since I was already using all the other treatments mentioned in this routine.
NOTE*: When I stopped using Propecia years ago, I experienced an alarming amount of hair loss in a very short time. As with minoxidil, finasteride only works while you take it. Once you stop any hair loss that was prevented will happen very quickly, so keep that in mind!
SUPPLEMENTS for Daily Male Hair Loss Treatment (As Recommended)
To complete my male hair loss treatment, each night I take a Multivitamin and MSM as recommended on the label to provide the raw materials hair follicles need to be able to do their job and stimulate hair growth to reverse hair loss. I also take saw palmetto as recommended as an extra DHT blocker. You may want to experiment with different brands as you regrow your hair.
I used to take biotin, but the information I have gathered from research indicates it would only be beneficial to take a biotin supplement if you had some sort of deficiency.
These supplements can be purchased from Amazon by clicking their names above and browsing Amazon for the brand you feel is the best fit for you. You may also find these supplements at your local drug store.
TIP: Outside US? If Amazon.com doesn’t ship a certain product to all destinations, simply click on “More Buying Choices”, then under the “Seller Information” column choose a seller that ships “International and domestic” to have it shipped to your location outside the US.
You can also try a search in the Amazon online store for your country, or nearest country for faster shipping, since most Amazon regional stores carry the products above to reverse hair loss and stimulate hair growth.
Does the type of shampoo make a difference?
Yes, it most certainly does. Regular shampoos can coat the scalp and block much of the absorption of the topical treatments mentioned here. To learn more about this, and about why I use Alpecin shampoo, please read my Alpecin review.
Please keep the following in mind as you use this hair loss treatment:
- If you want to reverse hair loss and stimulate hair growth, you have to follow the daily male hair loss treatment above consistently and be patient. As with many things, each person may experience different levels of success.
- Finasteride comes in several forms – Propecia (brand name for hair loss), generic, and Proscar (5mg version for prostate issues). You should definitely consult with your doctor, get a prescription, and purchase through a legitimate online or local pharmacy. I use Proscar, and cut it 4 ways with a pill cutter.
- As you begin to reverse hair loss there may be minoxidil and/or finasteride shedding stages before the hair fills in as explained in “My Hair Loss and Regrowth“
- Both Alpecin shampoo and Nizoral shampoo are quite affordable. Since we all need to shampoo anyway, using these as part of the daily treatment doesn’t take any time at all from your day, or add any extra step to fight hair loss. You may read more on this in my Alpecin Review and my Nizoral Review.
- I am convinced that combining the most proven treatments in a regular routine is the best way to fight hair loss at this time (outside of course of transplantation). I had success with the treatments listed above, but you may have success experimenting with other possibilities such as low level laser devices, a PRP hair treatment, scalp massages, etc. Each solution fights hair loss through a different mechanism of action, so naturally combining treatments is the best approach to date.
- A hair moisturizing/conditioning spray can help to prevent your hair from drying out and can also maintain a healthy looking shine. These types of sprays/mists can provide hydration throughout the day to strengthen dry, damaged hair.
- The sooner you start this male hair loss treatment after you notice hair loss, the faster you will stimulate hair growth, reverse hair loss and of course the better your chances of results.
- If you’d like to hide your hair loss while waiting to stimulate hair growth and reverse hair loss, Toppik and DermMatch work great. I found these two products excellent before I used this male hair loss treatment routine. It is worth noting however, that these products looked most natural when I kept my hair fairly short.
- Depending on where you live you may have to set up an Amazon account online to access and purchase these products, but you only have to set it up once with the first order. You can use your account to re-order a few weeks before you run out to remain consistent with your male hair loss treatment .
Once you stimulate hair growth and reverse hair loss with this this simple and affordable treatment, you’ll wish you’d started this ages ago!